It was erroneously posted in the current newsletter that we are still looking for a Sunshine Chair. Be assured that Gail Wozniak is still our Sunshine Chair. Any requests for sunshine should be directed to her. Let me know if you have any questions.
Elizabeth Swan, President
Hello fellow quilters!
I hope you are all safe and gearing up for an autumn of stay-at-home creativity!
We have an update on our Fall Retreat at the Franciscan Guest House in Kennebunk and we would like to gauge interest in this event.
The retreat is scheduled for Wednesday 11/11/2020 to Sunday 11/15/2020. FGH still has us scheduled and they are resuming retreats as of next week and “playing it by ear, week by week”.
FGH can accommodate up to 25 quilters from our guild. They are not sure if the group with whom we usually share the gym will be there. Currently, FGH is not offering the buffet (by state law) but may be able to provide plated meals.
People who are traveling to Maine from Massachusetts will need to have proof of a negative COVID test taken no more than 72 hours prior to arriving in Maine. Travelers from New Hampshire and Vermont do not have to have the COVID test.
Please email Phyllis at email@example.com ASAP if you are interested in the retreat. We need to let FGH know by 9/25/2020 if we will be having the retreat.
Phyllis & Sue
Like many of you, I was making masks when this awful pandemic started. I made hundreds and donated them to a local mission group that I have been working with for years. My mind eventually became what I refer to as ‘mask mush’. Needing a break, I went into my stash and pulled out a jelly roll. This was my first jelly roll quilt and it was so much fun! I couldn’t wait to see the finished quilt.
I am sure many of you are feeling somewhat disassociated these days. I am one of them. There are many things, that as a guild, we can no longer have at this time. This is how I came up with the idea of a jelly roll challenge.
This is how it will work:
- Email me a picture of a quilt top using a jelly roll
- Quilt top can contain other fabric in addition to the jelly roll.
- All entries will be anonymous
- I will email you a secret code to identify your quilt. I will maintain a spreadsheet of all entries.
- Start date for entries will be September 21st. End date will be November 2nd
- Quilt top only
- Size – lap size. If you want to go bigger – great!
- If you want to participate, but feel technologically challenged, email or call me and I will help.
- Quilts will be judged on best use of color, best use of applique, and best overall design
- Prizes/gift certificates will be awarded to winners of each category
- If you have a jelly roll quilt already done, great! Submit it. Please know that it will be judged on the above, not the quilting
- Judges will review the entries with results by November 16th.
- Please no posts on social media until after results are in
- Judges will only see a picture of your quilt and your secret code
- If we can have a quilt show in 2021, there will be a section for this jelly roll challenge. It would be great to see all your finished quilts there!
Gift certificates for the winning entry in each category have been generously provided by Red Barn Sewing & Yarn Center, Compass Point Quilts and Aunt Mary’s Quilting.
As a dear friend of mine said “Even though the world has stopped, magical things can still happen”.
Let’s make some quilt magic happen and enjoy a jelly roll challenge!