Like many of you, I was making masks when this awful pandemic started. I made hundreds and donated them to a local mission group that I have been working with for years. My mind eventually became what I refer to as ‘mask mush’. Needing a break, I went into my stash and pulled out a jelly roll. This was my first jelly roll quilt and it was so much fun! I couldn’t wait to see the finished quilt.
I am sure many of you are feeling somewhat disassociated these days. I am one of them. There are many things, that as a guild, we can no longer have at this time. This is how I came up with the idea of a jelly roll challenge.
This is how it will work:
- Email me a picture of a quilt top using a jelly roll
- Quilt top can contain other fabric in addition to the jelly roll.
- All entries will be anonymous
- I will email you a secret code to identify your quilt. I will maintain a spreadsheet of all entries.
- Start date for entries will be September 21st. End date will be November 2nd
- Quilt top only
- Size – lap size. If you want to go bigger – great!
- If you want to participate, but feel technologically challenged, email or call me and I will help.
- Quilts will be judged on best use of color, best use of applique, and best overall design
- Prizes/gift certificates will be awarded to winners of each category
- If you have a jelly roll quilt already done, great! Submit it. Please know that it will be judged on the above, not the quilting
- Judges will review the entries with results by November 16th.
- Please no posts on social media until after results are in
- Judges will only see a picture of your quilt and your secret code
- If we can have a quilt show in 2021, there will be a section for this jelly roll challenge. It would be great to see all your finished quilts there!
Gift certificates for the winning entry in each category have been generously provided by Red Barn Sewing & Yarn Center, Compass Point Quilts and Aunt Mary’s Quilting.
As a dear friend of mine said “Even though the world has stopped, magical things can still happen”.
Let’s make some quilt magic happen and enjoy a jelly roll challenge!