Last year’s challenge was Bright Sunshiny Day. So, for this year’s challenge, it needs to be about stars. How many star quilt blocks are there? Well, let me tell you there are literally hundreds. Google told me this. Then, taking it a little further, how many quotes, stories, songs are there about stars? The answer is a lot! Who recognizes some of these?
Star of the day who will it be?
Starry Starry Night
A Star is Born
When you wish upon a star
Star crossed lovers – Did you know this was written by Shakespeare?
This year’s challenge goes like this:
- The theme is Stars
- Everyone will receive ¼ yard of fabric. There will be 4 different colorways of the same print. I will randomly send you one of the colorways. I would ask you not to share which one you receive. It will be much more fun to see each one when all the entries are revealed on Facebook. If you need to purchase extra material, the fabric line is Ombre Fairy Dust Metallic by Vanessa Christenson for Moda. I purchased this from Shabby Fabrics. There are several online shops that carry it.
- For your quilt, please select a star block pattern using the fabric you receive. Indulge yourself on how you want to add to the star block.
- When you submit your entry, please include a few sentences which say why you chose/inspired the star block. I will include this when submitting to the judges. Anonymously of course.
- Size – 24” x 36” minimum. If you want to go bigger – great!
- Entries do not have to be quilted.
- All entries will be anonymous.
- Email me a picture of your quilt top.
- I will email you a secret code to identify your quilt. I will maintain a spreadsheet of all entries.
- Start date will be March 1st. End date will be May 10th.
- Quilts will be judged on best use of color, best overall design, and best visual impact.
- There is a possibility that challenge entries will be hung in this year’s quilt show. I will let everyone know after I talk with this year’s Quilt Show Chair. Stay tuned.
- Gift certificates will be awarded to the winner of each category.
- Judges will review the entries with results by May 17.
- Judges will only see a picture of your quilt, your secret code and why you chose/inspired your star block.
- Please no posts on social media until after the results are in.
- If you want to participate, please call or email me to let me know. I will mail or drop off your fabric.
Gift certificates for the winner in each category have been generously provided by Red Barn Sewing & Yarn Center, Compass Point Quilts, and Shabby Fabrics/Anonymous Donor
I am looking forward to receiving your beautiful entries!